In Kabardino-Balkaria, militants who attacked Nalchik are pardoned

From: love_caucasus
Caucasian Knot
27/10/2006

In Kabardino-Balkaria, militants who attacked Nalchik are pardoned

The correspondent of the “Caucasian Knot” has learnt from unofficial
sources that last night five persons out of those accused of attack on
the power structures of Kabardino-Balkaria on October 13 last year were
released under amnesty from the investigation custody of Nalchik.
According to unofficial data, a total of 26 persons will be released.

However, Leon Murzakanov, representative of the prosecutor’s office of
Kabardino-Balkaria for work with mass media, gave another figure: the
number of those amnestied will make over ten persons, but he did not
tell exactly how many.

We remind you that after the events of October 13, 2005, 69 persons were
arrested. Part of them were members of the so-called “reserve group” and
did not part in the attack. In the course of the battle 95 persons were
killed (92 persons were killed on October 13-14, and three persons later
- in the course of special operation in the village of Stary Leksen).

Author: Lyudmila Maratova, CK correspondent

http://eng.kavkaz.memo.ru/newstext/engnews/id/1095520.html

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chechnya-sl/message/50194

Share Button

GEORGIA CLAIMS COUP THWARTED

From: MSN Nicknamepsychoteddybear24  (Original Message)    Sent: 9/14/2006 8:31 AM
GEORGIA CLAIMS COUP THWARTED

Opposition and Russia condemn mass arrests of alleged plotters.

By Tina Tskhovrebashvili in Tbilisi

The Georgian authorities have detained dozens of political activists who they
accuse of plotting a coup, but sceptics say the mass arrests are a sign of
creeping authoritarianism in the country.

The 29 people arrested on September 6 were members of Justice – a party founded
by the fugitive former security chief Igor Giorgadze – or its satellite parties.
Many have been charged with involvement in a plot to overthrow the government,
and could face up to 15 years in jail or even life if convicted of high treason.

At a pre-trial hearing, one of the arrested activists, lawyer Maya
Nikoleishvili, made some explosive allegations when she gave evidence against
the other accused.

Nikoleishvili, who heads the Anti-Soros movement and is a died-in-the-wool
opponent of the Georgian government, told the court that the alleged plotters
met in May this year to discuss raising an armed rebellion against the
government. She was released on bail of 10,000 US dollars, while 12 of the 29
other accused were remanded in custody for two months. The 12 insist they are
innocent, and will continue their political struggle.

Two days after the first wave of arrests, police detained Giorgadze’s former
colleague Alexander Chumburidze, who they allege was planning to blow up the
headquarters of the governing United National Movement party.

Meanwhile, the main suspect, Giorgadze, who has featured on the Georgian
police’s wanted list since 1995 when he was charged with attempting to
assassinate the then president Eduard Shevardnadze – remains at large. Now
living in Russia, he too denies the allegations of a coup plot, describing them
as politically motivated.

“The Justice party has never intended to solve political problems by force. This
is just political repression,” he told Russia’s TVTs television.

Giorgadze held a press conference in Moscow in May saying he wanted to stage a
peaceful “Nettle Revolution” to counter Mikheil Saakashvili’s Rose Revolution of
2003.

“There were, alas, no coup plans,” well-known politician Irina Sarishvili, who
now heads Giorgadze’s charitable foundation, told journalists. She called on
opposition leaders to stage acts of protest demanding the resignation of the
government – a call that has not been widely heeded.

However, other opposition groups have spoken out against the arrests, insisting
they are a politically driven attempt to intimidate the government’s critics.

Mamuka Katsitadze of the New Rights party warned that the authorities may “start
using these methods in dealing not only with their political opponents, but with
other sections of society, including the media”.

Political analyst Gia Nodia was more cautious, saying that the Justice party is
not a proper opposition group, and for example “did not even plan to take part
in the local government elections”.

“The party – given its composition and many other characteristics – is an
appendage of the Russian security services,” said Nodia. “It’s difficult to
judge what they were going to do. It’s also difficult to imagine them carrying
out a coup d’etat anywhere in the near future.”

Shalva Pichkhadze, also a political analyst, predicts believes a further
crackdown on opposition forces ahead of local elections October 5 is possible.
“As Igor Giorgadze’s rating is not high in Georgia, it looks as though they are
going after second-rank figures in order to scare their main and serious
opponents,” he said.

The government has countered the criticism by producing apparently incriminating
evidence. Georgian television channels screened footage provided by the interior
ministry in which two Justice activists – whose names were withheld – said they
planned use money provided by Giorgadze to buy weapons and set up combat units
for a September confrontation with the authorities. Film was also shown of
Giorgadze supporters receiving payment after taking part in anti-government
rallies.

President Saakashvili said the alleged plotters would “get what they deserve
under the law, and this will be seen by their patrons, who pinned great hopes on
them and provided the funding”.

He added, “If the sponsors behind Igor Giorgadze’s supporters were relying on
people like this, everything is all right and Georgia has nothing to be afraid
of”.

The reference to “sponsors” – which clearly means Russia – has put new strains
on the already poor relationship between Tbilisi and Moscow.

Georgia’s first deputy foreign minister Valery Chechelashvili has said his
ministry will ask Russia to disclose the sources of financing for Justice, on
the grounds the party was engaged in unlawful activity. “These actions threaten
not only our country but also the country the money came from,” he said.

Mikheil Machavariani, deputy speaker of the Georgian parliament, says the
Georgian political organisations now under investigation received money from the
Russian secret services, or as he called them “enemies of Georgia”.

This is one of a number of claims that foreign spies are active in Georgia. At
the end of July, following the security operation against rebellious militia
leader Emzar Kvitsiani in the Kodori Gorge, Saakashvili called on interior
minister Ivane Merabishvili to step up counterintelligence activities because,
he said, “the secret services of some countries are deeply engaged in Georgia”.

The first target of this crackdown was Irakli Batiashvili, a leading member of
the opposition movement Forward, Georgia, who was arrested on suspicion of
supporting Kvitsiani.

The speaker of Russia’s State Duma Boris Gryzlov said the recent events were
proof that a “totalitarian regime” was being established in Georgia.

Giorgi Targamadze, chairman of the Georgian parliament’s defence and national
security committee countered, “Boris Gryzlov’s statement only proves that the
conspirators were financed from Russia, and Russia provided them with
ideological guidance.”

Tina Tskhovrebashvili is a freelance journalist based in Tbilisi

Share Button

In Kabardino-Balkaria they cancelled action of planting avenue in memory of victims of Nalchik attack

From: Eagle_wng
 In Kabardino-Balkaria they cancelled action of planting  avenue in memory of victims of Nalchik attack
31.3.2006
     

As it became known from informed sources, the planned on April 2nd action of planting an avenue with 150 trees does not take place in Kabardino-Balkaria. Against the action some of those who lost their sons on October 13th (in particular, the editor of the regional newspaper “Northern Caucasus\” Ali Kazyhanov) spoke.

The idea did not find support of the mothers of the insurgents: they expressed almost unanimous opinion that the only thing that was necessary for them was to get back bodies of their sons to bury them. All the rest, in their opinion, was unimportant.

The head of the public organization “The Institute of youth problems” the deputy of the republican parliament Boris Pashtov expressed his regret that the adults did not understand the children’s idea. “The action was apprehended as an action for the insurgents’ justification. We just wished to plant trees as a symbol of unity, continuation of life and opposition to fratricidal ideology.

If our opponents consider that it is better to do nothing, to not speak to the youth on serious themes, and to continue to split our society, dividing young men in “ours” and “theirs”, that is their right.

But we do not want the October events’ repeating. We shall spend new actions; meet the young men with different social status, different education, and different point of view on the public situation in the republic. Only this way we shall come to understanding that we are the one people, we have the one republic and the one destiny\”.

Caucasian unit

http://www.adygeanatpress.net/stat_e.php?id=1641

Share Button

AdygeaNatPress: Adygeya President Congratulated Karachaevo-Circassia.

From: MSN NicknameEagle_wng  (Original Message)    Sent: 7/4/2006 10:04 AM
Adygeya president congratulated Karachaevo-Circassia  on 15th anniversary with 2 million rubles
4.7.2006
     

The president of Adygeya Khazret Sovmen for the day of the 15th anniversary of Karachaevo-Circassian Republic, celebrated on July 3rd, allocated 1 million rubles to Habezsky area hospital and to the Republican theatre of KCR consisted of five national theatres. That was reported by Adygeya republican TV.

For participation in the celebrating in Karachaevo-Circassia the delegation headed by the vice-president of Adygeya Boris Gokzhaev departed. In the delegation there were also the minister of culture and press Gazzy Chemso and the member of the Public chamber of Russian Federation Iskhak Mashbash.

AdygeaNatPress

http://www.adygeanatpress.net/stat_e.php?id=1801

Share Button

KBR officials will be appointed on competitive basis

From: Eagle_wng
KBR officials will be appointed on competitive basis
10.2.2006
     

As it became known from a message of the press-service of the president and government of Kabardino-Balkaria, the Decree of KBR president Arsen Kanokov according to which appointments to official posts would be made on competitive basis is signed today.

They have already declared the competitions in the legal managements by the president of Kabardino-Balkaria and the Ministry on youth and sports affairs.

“Competitive system of staff selection is a pleasant innovation. During former years the staff was formed on a principle “matchmaker, brother, son-in-law”. For the first time citizens of our republic will get equal access to public services”, – so the chairman of the branch of the party Union of Right Forces in Kabardino-Balkaria Anzor Shakhmurzov said on that occasion.

Caucasian unit

http://www.adygeanatpress.net/stat_e.php?id=1450

 

Share Button

RFE/RL: Analysis: Are Ingushetia, North Ossetia On Verge Of New Hostilities?

From: MSN NicknameEagle_wng  (Original Message)    Sent: 4/24/2006 2:22 AM
Tuesday, March 28, 2006
Analysis: Are Ingushetia, North Ossetia On Verge Of New Hostilities?
By Liz Fuller
Russia — North Caucasus map
(RFE/RL)
It has been more than 13 years since Ingush and Ossetian informal militias, the latter backed by Russian security forces, engaged in a brief but brutal conflict in North Ossetia’s Prigorodny Raion, to which both ethnic groups lay claim. More than 500 people died in six days of fighting in early November 1992 that precipitated the flight from North Ossetia of tens of thousands of Ingush settlers.

Due partly to a lack of political will and partly to inadequate funding, measures adopted by successive Russian governments intended to enable the Ingush fugitives to return to their abandoned homes in Prigorodny Raion have been implemented only half-heartedly, with the result that the Ingush collective sense of grievance has festered.
 
The Ossetians, for their part, remain resolutely opposed either to changes in their republic’s borders that would hand Prigorodny Raion back to Ingushetia, or to the wholesale return of the Ingush to the district. The two sides have recently launched new propaganda offensives intended to impel the Russian leadership to amend the status quo in their favor.
 
Origins Of The Dispute
 
Prigorodny Raion was incorporated into North Ossetia when the Checheno-Ingush Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (ASSR) of which it was originally part was abolished in the wake of the 1944 deportation of the entire Chechen and Ingush peoples to Central Asia.
 
When both ethnic groups were exonerated under then-CPSU General Secretary Nikita Khrushchev and their republic was reconstituted in 1957, its borders were amended to leave Prigorodny Raion within North Ossetia.
 
In April 1991 the USSR Supreme Soviet adopted a Law on the Rehabilitation of the Repressed Peoples that stated that Prigorodny Raion should be handed back to the then-Checheno-Ingush ASSR, but failed to specify how and over what time period this should be done. The Checheno-Ingush ASSR split into separate Chechen and Ingush republics in July 1992, but the borders of those two territories were not formalized.
A detailed new program was unveiled in May 2005 for expediting the return of the Ingush displaced persons to their abandoned homes in Ingushetia by the end of 2006.
 

Share Button

In Nalchik Timur Hatsaev

From: Eagle_wng
In Nalchik Timur Hatsaev’s solo concert passed
27.12.2005
     

In December, 2005 Timur Hatsaev’s first solo concert took place in the recreation center of Culture of Nalchik. The hall was overflown with spectators. There were many people wishing to listen to Timur. People were ready to listen to the concert of the young executor standing. Timur opened the concert with the song “K’eblag’e mahuesch’e” which created an air of warmth and cosiness in the hall. And the song “Mum” made to shed a few tears not only mothers sitting in the hall, but also all the women who heard it.

Spectators welcomed the singer with a rough never-ending applause.

The 17-years old student of the Kabardino-Balkarian College of culture and arts Timur Hatsaev became the student and the owner of the medal of the International festival of arts passed one year ago on Sicily. The beginning of Timur’s creative way is recollected by the poet Aues Betuganov: “Once I was called from the cabinet, being told that in the hall a six-years boy who very much wished to sing was crying. He was accompanied by his grandmother. Timur with sonorous pure voice had sung the popular in republic song “Adygs live on my land”. Since then, I observe of this talented young men’s creative development, write songs for him”.

Being 17 years old Timur can confidently make the chronology of his creative achievements. Besides the International festival on Sicily, in May, 2004 he became the winner of the first North-Caucasian young vocalists competition. Now he has not only solo concerts on the stages of the republic but also in duet with Irina Daurova.

In the concert he sang songs on Aues Betugaev’s verses and Timur Hatsaev’s music. The young singer writes music not only for himself but also for Irina Daurova.

Having finished his study in Nalchik, Timur plans to continue training in Italy.

The Worldwide Circassian Brotherhood wishes Timur further success in his creativity and will support the young Adygeyan singer in future.

Worldwide Circassian Brotherhood www.adygaunion.com

http://www.adygeanatpress.net/stat_e.php?id=1118

Share Button